Last night we had my adaptation of chicken chimichangas... here, for your culinary pleasure:
Sydney's Chicken Chimichangas:
1 -2 pounds of chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 small can of chopped green chiles (or cut up the whole ones if that is what you have)
1/4 cup cooked white or brown rice
1/2 cup chredded fat free cheddar cheese, divided
salt and pepper to taste
1 package flour tortillas
oil for frying
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) In a large bowl, combine onion, chiles, cooled rice, 1/4 cup of the cheese, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3) Season cubed chicken with salt and pepper and cook in small amount of olive oil until lightly browned, remove from heat and add to other ingredients in bowl. Stir well.
4) Place a heaping spoonful of the mixture into the center of each tortillas and fold corners in and roll into a pouch.
5) In a small frying pan, add about 1/4 inch of oil for frying, heat over medium heat. Test the oil with a tiny piece of a tortilla. When it lightly bubbles and floats to the top, the oil is hot enough.
6) One roll at a time, place the fold side down in the oil, turning once. Fry about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels. Finish remaining rolls.
7) Place all fried chimichangas on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese. Put in oven 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serve with rice and vegetables.
Last night I ran out of tortillas and I made the last one with a Spinach tortilla. While it wasn't as pretty once it was browned in the oil, it was still yummy! So you can use whatever you have on hand! :)
Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies
1 hour ago