Yep, another one of my lists! I've been thinking about this one for a while now since there are plenty of things here that I DO like. I've started compiling a mental list of the things to enjoy while I am here, because I will definitely miss them when I am gone.
So here's my list:
1) My Stove Lid - Yep, my stove top has a lid! At first I thought this was strange as I'd never seen such a thing before. NOW, I know what a blessing it is! "What's that honey? Unexpected company is on there way here now??? But my kitchen's a mess!" A quick swipe of a dishcloth over the counters and CLOSE THE LID and tada! Clean kitchen! :)
2) The Haji Store - This is probably the thing I will miss the most. Sure, we had a Maverick Gas Station less than a block from where we lived before, but it just won't be the same. Having bread, Arabic bread, milk, pop, popcorn, and whatever else my little heart desires delivered right to my door by a non-English-speaking Indian guy is so much more awesome than I ever could have imagined!
3) The Fruit and Vegetable Market - Even though this little gem went a long time without our noticing, I am already addicted to it and will surely miss it. Yes, we have our farmer's markets back home, which I am sure I will frequent anyway when we get back, but it just isn't the same as a slew of vendors bargaining with us for the best price (and to keep us from going to the next guy) and following Kaden around giving him bananas.
4) Staying Home With Kaden - This isn't necessarily a Middle Eastern attribute, but it is definitely something I've grown quite fond of and will surely miss.
5) Thick Skin - Perhaps this will come home with me, but living here among the truly grouchy people who reside here has given me skin harder than nails. I'm comfortable here among this unsmiling bunch, and I hope that when I get back home to my wonderfully content neighbors I will be able to appreciate their joyful faces even more.
Stay tuned for another installment of this list.
Also, don't get excited... we are still not coming home anytime soon. But we are coming home EVENTUALLY, which is why I started this list. Do not take it as our impending arrival and time soon though. :(
Coconut Curry Wonton Soup
1 day ago