Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weekend Fun and Not-So-Fun

On Thursday night we went to that little Asian place at Marina Mall once again. And once again the Sushi was great and this time we both just loved our meals. Last time they were good, but not fantastic, this time I can recommend both the Broccoli and Beef and the Sweet and Sour Chicken Rice Bowl. Totally yum. There are never very many patrons, so the wait staff is very attentive and they LOVE Kaden, so it was an all-around great experience.
Friday Matt, Mike and Steve came over and hung out for a few hours and then we went to dinner at Cantina Laredo where we also met up with Dan, Kyle, a new guy TJ, and Rob, who I'd never met, and his girlfriend Kata. It was so much fun laughing and joking and the food was good of course, because I've learned not to deviate from the tried-and-true heaven that is Chicken enchiladas with the cream sauce. Devine.

We got home fairly late (like 9, lol)... for us, and Kaden seemed to be sort of mopey. He wasn't especially whiny or anything, just not his usual self. We all went to bed without issue.

Saturday morning I had to wake Kaden up at 10 after I'd been up for 3 hours and Stu had been up for two. I'd already made French toast for breakfast and we were ready to start our day. Poor baby was kind of hot and not very interested in doing... well, anything. He sat on my lap for an hour while I read and then it was time to take me to the mall for our get together for World Wide Knit in Public Day. My boys dropped me off and I had a great time with the girls, and meeting a couple newcomers to add to the group. Here's a pic of some of us:
(from left to right: Charmaine, Melanie, Monica, Marilyn, (random guy), Kundi, me, Yanti, and Lindsay)

About 3 hours into the hang-out, though, Stu called me to report that Kaden had a temperature of 103 with the ear thermometer. (WHAT?!?!?) I made him check again and he said it still said 102. So we discussed whether we should take him to the doctor or not. The doctors are less-than-reliable for the most part and when we have taken him in, they just look at him and make a determination about his condition. They never run any tests or do any x-rays like they would in the States (x-rays for potential broken bones, like the last time we went in, not for a fever... just to clarify). So about an hour later they arrived to pick me up so I could look at him and decide what to do next. We headed home... mind you, it's well over 100 these days anyway, so my poor sick baby riding in a super-heated car with a fever already was probably not making matters any better.

I gave him Tylenol when I checked and double checked his temp (103.8) and I decided that since our doctor's office was already closed for the night that if it didn't go down in 30 minutes that we'd take him to Al Noor hospital. Luckily, it did finally break about 40 minutes later and I put him to bed with a temp of 101. Unfortunately for me, I am a huge worry-wart about Kaden, because that child is my life and I would not survive anything horrible happening to him (like the sure death I was envisioning as I lay in bed unable to sleep). I got up to check on almost every hour on the house all night long, sneaking in his room and feeling his forehead and chest to make sure he wasn't hotter and was still breathing. So I probably got a grand total of 2 hours of fitful sleep. Here is my poor sick baby last night:

He woke up at about 7:30 this morning all chipper and rearing to go. I took his temperature and it was a cool 99. SO I have no idea what the freaking high fever was all about. Mary-Leah said to check for a rash because it could be this really common infection called Roseola, but so far no rash. Other than being uninterested in moving, he didn't show any symptoms at all. He ate fine, he waved and laughed with us from his make-shift beds on the living room floor and Mommy and Daddy's laps. So weird. I hope that was the end of it though because I just hate it when he is sick (and I definitely need more sleep tonight).

Stu took some pics of my new herbs I started growing last week (thanks, Mimi! :)). They have sprouted nicely and I'm looking forward to another little project. There are also chives too but I wasn't going to wait for a whole other upload to post this, hehe. :)

1 comment:

  1. Awww......he looks so miserable. Poor baby. Wait a few days, the rash usually shows up a few days later. I'm betting Roseola, even if they never get the rash, most doctors will tell you if they have an unexplained high fever under age two, and it goes away without incident, you can cross Roseola off your list! So, don't worry too much about it. And if the rash shows up, bingo! Nothing to do but wait for it to go away.

    Love the herbs! Jeff is growing fresh oregano, basil, mint, rosemary, and who knows what else in pots in the yard and he just goes out and snips off fresh herbs when he cooks. It's so awesome! I wish we had room for a huge garden.